Denmon overcomes "slump"
by Mizzou Matt
Marcus Denmon pleaded with fans to NOT rush the court at the conclusion of the game, a change from years past when Missouri does the seemingly impossible- beating Kansas.
That's exactly what Mizzou (21-2, 8-2) did tonight, for the 12th time since 1990, with Denmon going for 29 points in the Tigers' 74-71 victory in what could be the last time that the two teams play in Columbia. Kansas (18-5, 8-2) almost edged out the win, but a Tyshawn Taylor charge late led to Mizzou's second win over Kansas since 2009. Kim English had 18 of his own. Thomas Robinson netted 25 to lead the Jayhawks. Taylor also had 21 for Kansas.
"I took the same shots I always shoot. I knew those shots would fall," said Denmon following the game.
The series is now 171-95, in favor of Kansas.
With the win, Mizzou now creates a three-way tie for first in the Big 12 with the Tigers, Bears, and Jayhawks all sporting 8-2 records:
- Mizzou- 21-2, 8-2 (K-State, OKST)
- Baylor- 21-2, 8-2 (Kansas, Mizzou)
- Kansas- 18-5, 8-2 (UK, Duke, Davidson, ISU, Mizzou)
- Mizzou plays Baylor in Columbia (W 89-88 in Waco), Kansas in Lawrence (W 74-71 in Columbia).
- Baylor plays Mizzou in Columbia (L 88-89 in Waco), Kansas in Waco (L 72-94 in Lawrence).
- Kansas plays Baylor in Waco (W 92-74 in Lawrence), Mizzou in Lawrence (L 71-74 in Columbia).